Veterans and Military-Affiliated Students

vet in wheelchair smiling at computer

Have you served in the military? Are you the spouse or dependent of someone who has served our country? If so, WCC is here to help you reach your educational goals! We are a military-friendly school with gold-level status from the Michigan Veterans' Affairs Agency.

  • Wadhams Veterans’ Center – our veterans’ center helps active duty and former military personnel transition into the college community. We also help military spouses and dependents, as well as students in the National Guard or Reserves.
  • Military Education Benefits  
  • GI Bill® – use these benefits for an academic program that leads to a degree or certificate. Follow the steps on the enrollment page and complete the additional steps provided below.
  • Other Military Benefits – learn about other benefits for those who have served in the military as well as spouses and dependents. These benefits are eligible for fast-track training that leads straight to a career in less than six months.

Ready to enroll? Follow the steps on the enrollment page and then follow these additional steps to use your GI Bill® educational benefits.

✔ Get your benefits

New students: Apply for your GI Bill ® Educational Benefits. If you are a new student who has not used GI Bill ® Educational benefits before at any institution of higher learning, please apply using View a list of all GI Bill ® Educational Benefits.

Submit your Certificate of Eligibility (COE): Please submit your COE letter from the VA stating eligibility and length of entitlement (Chp 33 and 35) to the School Certifying Official at the Wadhams Veterans Center. You will receive this 4-8 weeks after you apply for your benefits using the process. If you have not yet received your COE, you may substitute a DD-214 or other proof of benefits eligibility, but you will still need to submit a COE as soon as you receive it.

Transfer students: Please submit form VA 22-1995 Change of Place or Training and COE when transferring from another school.

Get credits for your service and prior learning

For an evaluation of service school training, please submit:

  • Military transcript. You can access your military transcripts online.
  • DD 214 member 4 copy (military discharge papers) unless still on active military duty.
  • The documents must show the exact title of the course, location of the course, and length of the course in weeks.

For an evaluation of your college work, please submit:

Transcripts need to be submitted as soon as possible but not later than the end of your first semester in order for WCC to continue certifying your courses to the VA. Credit is granted for military training as recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) if it applies to your program of study at WCC.

Register and pay

Please meet with the Veteran Student Advisor to schedule classes within your program prior to registration. Explore the class listing prior to your appointment.

If you plan on utilizing your GI Bill ® Educational benefits, after you’ve registered, you will need to complete the Enrollment/Veteran Benefits Certification Request Form . This form needs to be completed each semester and submitted to the School Certifying Official for VA certification.

Veteran benefits may sometimes be delayed. Enroll in the WCC student payment plan by the payment deadline to keep your classes. After you register, login to the WCC Billing and Payment System, then pick the payment plan tab and set up regular deductions from a bank account or credit card. You may also set up a payment plan.

Prove your progress

You must follow the Standards of Progress to be eligible for your VA Educational Benefit Certification. You must read, sign and return the original copy of the Standards of Progress to the WCC Certifying Official prior to your first semester of enrollment at WCC.